What Is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy fulfills a vital role in the healthcare system. Physiotherapists have an in-depth knowledge of how the body functions. With a unique combination of manual hands on skills, electrotherapy and exercises, physiotherapists can assess, diagnose and treat illness, injury and disability. The goal of physiotherapy is to restore and maximize your strength, function, movement and overall health to get you back to doing what you love.
What Is Expected In An Initial Assessment?
During an initial assessment at LifeSpring Physiotherapy, you can expect to the following:
- A detailed subjective history of your current physical injury/illness/disability and past medical history
- A full physical assessment including: muscle testing, range of motion assessment, neurological testing, gait analysis (if applicable), functional movement screening, joint mobility and other special physiotherapy tests as needed.
- A comprehensive explanation of our findings with regards to your condition
- Education on what “to do” and “not to do”, starting you on your journey of self-empowerment
- Exercises (if applicable): strengthening, muscle activation patterning, stretching home exercise program
- Treatment program and progression
What is Expected in a Treatment Session?
At LifeSpring, you will receive one-on-one treatment with your physiotherapist to ensure your regain optimal health. Treatment from your therapist can include:
- Manual Therapy: Soft Tissue Techniques, Joint Mobilization, Stretching etc.
- Exercises: Strengthening, Stretching
- Modalities: Ultrasound, Laser, IFC, TENs, Paraffin Wax, Heat Therapy, Cold Therapy
- Return to Sports/Work/Activity Retraining
- Functional Movement Retraining
- Bio-mechanical Gait Analysis
- Home Exercise Program Development
There may other techniques that may be implemented dependent on your condition. Our goal at LifeSpring is to empower you to “treat” your own body. Educating you about your condition will allow you to know what to do when you’re in pain and how to prevent additional injuries. Please don’t be afraid to ask questions!
How Many Visits Will I Need?
Based on your initial assessment, your physiotherapist will determine the number of visits that will optimally benefit you to regain your overall independence and health. Depending on the chronicity of your injury, treatment sessions can last for days, weeks or sometimes longer (possibly through optional maintenance sessions).
How Does Acupuncture Help/Fit In?
Acupuncture is widely used in medical practices to aid in pain and inflammation. Additionally, it can help restore normal functioning of muscles and nerves, promoting healing to the structures and tissues in your body. Working in adjunct with physiotherapy, the use of acupuncture can help accelerate healing for long term recovery. It has been researched extensively in Western medicine and has been well documented with conditions that are commonly seen in physiotherapy clientele. Acupuncture can be incorporated into your physiotherapy session.
Do I Need a Doctor’s Referral?
You do not need a doctor’s referral to attend physiotherapy. However some insurance companies require you to have a doctor’s note in order to claim it through your extended healthcare benefits. It is advised that you contact your insurance company to inquire about their process for insurance claims.
Do You Treat MVA? WSIB?
We currently accept Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) claims. If you are claiming your physiotherapy as a result of a car accident, please let us know when booking your initial assessment.
We are currently not accepting new WSIB clients at our clinic.
Is Physiotherapy Covered By Insurance? OHIP?
Physiotherapy is no longer covered under OHIP except at OHIP specialty clinics. As a private clinic, we currently do not accept OHIP. Physiotherapy is covered by most extended health benefit plans. Check with your plan.
Is There Parking?
There is plenty of free parking in the St. Andrew’s Village parking lots.
Is Your Facility Accessible?
Our facility offers persons with disabilities and injuries many options and support for their care. We offer a ramp for easier entrance to our facility, an accessible washroom, and a main level treatment bed. Our staff are trained to offer any support you may need as per your needs.
What If I Can’t Make My Appointment?
We have a 24 hour cancellation policy. Please inform us within 24 hrs and no cancellation fee will be charged. If your appointment is missed, a $25 cancellation fee will be charged to your account.
If there are any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.